5/25/2020

Bikefishing Basics To Get You Started


Bikefishing is something I have come to love over the past couple of years because it combines two things I really enjoy doing, riding bikes and fishing.  Living in Minnesota with its bike infrastructure and abundance of lakes, rivers and streams makes it a perfect place to marry these two activities.  As a kid I used to do this all the time and I've revisted it again as an adult.  Now, getting to my fishing spot is half the fun.  One of the nice things about bikefishing is you don't need a lot of fancy equipment to do it, just the basic gear and a bike.  This post will go over some of the techniques and items needed to get started on your own fishing adventures via bicycle.


I like to travel light on the bike with regard to fishing gear.  I only bring what I think I'll need for the fish I am targeting.  For panfish I usually just bring my ultralight collapsible rod/reel combo, jig box, forceps, line cutter, a depth finder weight, towel and waxies/nightcrawlers for bait.  These can all fit in a bar bag, frame bag or backpack.


Three of the other species I like to fish for are catfish, carp and northern pike.  For these I use a medium action collapsible baitcasting pole and reel with 30# braided line.  Targeting these fish requires me to bring along a little extra gear such as a small tackle box, blood bait, live bait and a rod prop for bank fishing.


I prefer collapsible fishing rods for their convenience of storage and transport on the bike but multi-piece travel rods will do the trick also.  Some of the other things I will bring along for the trip are a portable digital scale with tape measure (can be found on Amazon for under $15), vinyl or latex gloves for handling fish and bait, a collapsible stool, a small cooler with beverages and snacks, zipper bags and of course, a fishing license.


I usually use live bait for panfish which includes waxworms, nightcrawlers and crappie minnows.  Transporting these is pretty easy, for waxies I use a bait puck, nightcrawlers in the package they came with and minnows in a Bait Up container.  When the weather heats up it is a good idea to keep your bait cool.  I'll store my bait puck and worms in a small cooler or bring along a frozen gel ice pack to place against them in my bike bag or backpack.  The Bait Up container can be stored in a cooler, with a frozen gel pack or in the body of water I'm fishing to keep the minnows alive and active.


There are a couple of different methods and bikes I use depending on the terrain involved and the species of fish I am targeting.  Traveling light is a must for me but I also want to make sure I have everything I need for a successful and comfortable outing.  A backpack or commuter bag is usually my first choice when I don't want to bring along a lot of gear but still have room for a couple of beers, snacks and my portable folding stool.


For longer distance travel to get to my fishing spot I will take my gravel/commuter bike.  These are usually lakes within 20 miles of my home that I fish for panfish or northern pike.  I also have some secret spots along the Minnesota and Mississippi Rivers that are easily accessible for skinny tires where I frequently try my luck for channel catfish and jumbo carp.


For those harder to reach areas like sandy beaches along the river or hidden spots that require some bushwhacking to get to, I will opt for my fatbike.  Since there are no rack mounts on my carbon Farley I have to carry everything I need for the outing in one of my appropriately sized backpacks.  This method is great for moving along the river bank and trying multiple spots in search of catfish.  I usually go by the old catfisherman's words of "if no bites in 15 minutes, it's time to move on."


When I want to carry a few more items or just want to skip the backpack I will strap on the panniers and let the bike carry the weight.  This allows me the extra storage space to bring along more tackle, extra rods and live bait for those longer outings or times when I want to target several species of fish.


For those short fishing trips or when I want to go after panfish only I will pack very light, usually only a rod, jig box, towel, forceps and waxworms or nightcrawlers.  All of this fits nicely in a small handlebar bag.


Living in the land of 10,000 lakes means there are probably several of them within biking distance from your home.  The Minnesota DNR website is a terrific resource to find out more information about the lakes, rivers and streams near you.  Visit the Where to fish page to get started.  Here you will find helpful links including a LakeFinder for desktop or mobile, river maps and accessible places for shore fishing.  If you are new to fishing visit the Learn to fish page for tips and links to get you started.


Minnesota has more than 200 fishing piers and on-shore platforms around the state and finding them is easy with the DNR's Fishing piers and shore fishing sites page.  Here you'll get the information you need about the location, a link to the LakeFinder page that contains size, depth and fish species and directions to get there using Google Maps and Bing.  When using the Google Maps link make sure you select bicycling directions to find the most bike-friendly route to get there.

When I want to learn more about the structure and depth of the area I will be fishing I use the Navionics Boating Marine and Lakes app on my phone.  Another handy feature of this app is that it allows me to set markers on the map with notes about the structure or fish species so that I may return to that exact spot later.  This app does have an optional paid subscription that has access to more advanced features and downloadable chart layers.  Available for both Android and IOS.



If you have questions or would like to learn more about bikefishing from those that do it regularly, put in a request to join the Bikefishing Facebook group.  This is a private group and membership will need to be approved by the admins or moderators to see posts and who is in the group.


Fatbikers that use their bikes for fishing those hard to reach areas may be interested in joining the Sport-Utility Fatbikers Facebook group.  In addition to fishing, this group is also for the cyclist that uses their fatbike for hunting, bikepacking, bikecamping, bikejoring, winter commuting or adventure riding.  This is also a private group and membership will need to be approved by the admin to see posts and who is in the group.


When the open water season comes to an end that doesn't mean that bikefishing has to also, it's just time to shift gear and methods for hardwater season.  For more information about ice fishing by bike see my updated post "Fatbike Ice Fishing and How to Do It-Revisited."


Bikefishing can be as simple or complex as you want to make it.  This usually depends on the duration of time to be spent and the fish you'll be going after.  For me it was trial and error to see what was convenient and what worked best.  Travel light or bring extra gear, it all depends on how you are going to carry it on the bike to your fishing spot.

Make sure to follow all Minnesota fishing regulations for the body of water you'll be fishing.  These can be found online on the MN DNR's Minnesota fishing regulations page, be downloaded in PDF format to your computer or phone or a paper copy can be picked up at licensing agents around the state.  Minnesota residents over the age of  16 will need to purchase an angling license to legally fish.  These can be purchased online, by phone at 1-888-665-4236 (1-MN-LICENSE) or in person from numerous ELS agents around the state.  A list of these agents can be found on the MN DNR's Where to buy a license page.  Good luck and happy bikefishing!

1 comment:

  1. I would also like the suggest the "Bikefishing" group on Facebook, as well. Great post, Chris!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...