12/12/2013

Hiplok V1.50: The Wearable Bike Chain Lock


The Hiplok V1.50 is the first bike lock designed specifically to be worn around the waist while riding.  It has an 8 mm hardened steel chain, a 12 mm hardened steel shackle in the buckle and weighs about 4 pounds.  With a flat padded nylon sleeve over the chain to provide a comfortable fit, it also prevents scratches when locking your bike.  It's fully adjustable and one size fits all that should accommodate waist sizes from 24 to 44 inches.  There are a variety of colors to choose from (All Black, Black/Green, Black/Grey, Black/Yellow/Purple) and some have a reflective Hiplok logo for extra visibility at night.


I first became aware of the Hiplok V1.50 at Interbike 2013 and thought to myself, "What a great idea, finally a lock you can wear."  Since getting one I no longer lug that U-lock around anymore.  I simply strap on the Hiplok and go.


Though at first it felt heavy when putting it on around my waist, the weight is supported by the hips and feels much less noticeable once wearing it.  I did move the the buckle shackle to the side instead of in the front for a more comfortable feel when riding.  The hook and loop fastener on the strap ensures a proper fit and keeps it from moving around whether wearing a jersey or bulkier winter riding apparel.  Shortly into a ride, I barely notice I have it on.  I've worn the Hiplock V1.50 on washboard gravel roads, even bumpier MTB singletrack and around town and never had any problems with it slipping, it simply stays put.


The Nylon sleeve covering the chain does make it comfortable to wear and did prevent scratches to my bike's paint job when locking it up.  With a chain that measures 32", it was long enough to go through my bike frame, front wheel and around a bike rack without any problem.  It removes quickly from the waist to lock up in a matter of seconds.  I now wear it whenever I have stops to make along a ride that require securing my bike.


While no lock is theft-proof and there are better ones out there, this Sold Secure Silver rated lock provides a medium/high risk security level and does protect from the opportunistic thief.  Overall, I like the Hiplok V1.50 a lot and would recommend it to any cyclist that is looking for a secure and convenient lock that is easy to take with them.

The Hiplok V1.50 is available for around $100 from Hiplok, REI, Amazon and other online retailers. 

Disclosure:  Hiplok provided the review sample for this article, but offered no other form of compensation for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...