After successful Open Streets events in 2011 & 2012 in Minneapolis, the Twin Cities will see five of them in 2013. These events are based on the weekly Ciclovía of Bogotá, Colombia where city streets are closed to automobile traffic in favor of cyclists, pedestrians, skaters and any other form of non-motorized transportation. This year Minneapolis will host four Open Streets and St. Paul will host its first Open Streets. These are free events open to the public that will also have a variety of activities for the whole family including Zumba, yoga, games, music and shopping at local businesses.
Open Streets Minneapolis Dates
- Lyndale Avenue South-Sunday, June 23, 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., 22nd St W to 42nd St W
- Central Avenue Northeast-Sunday, July 28, 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., approximately 27th Ave NE to 18 ½ Ave NE
- Minnehaha Avenue-Sunday, August 11, 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., approximately E Lake Street to Godfrey Parkway
- Lowry Avenue North-Saturday, September 21, 11:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m., approximately Washburn Ave N to Lyndale Ave N
|Image Credit: Open Streets MPLS|
St. Paul Open Streets Date
- University Avenue-Sunday, September 15, 11:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m., Hamline Avenue to Marion Street
Volunteers are still needed for these events. If you would like to put in some time to help make them a success visit the Volunteer page of the Minneapolis Bicycle Coalition website or the Get Involved section of the Open Streets St. Paul website.