The Filthy 50 returns in 2016 for its fourth year and has become a tradition for many gravel enthusiasts. Cyclists come from all over Minnesota and neighboring states to the small town of Stewartville to race on the rolling gravel roads of Olmstead and Filmore Counties. The scenery along the route is amazing and at the end of the race you will know why it was named The Filthy 50.
The Filthy 50 has introduced many to the joys of riding gravel and for some, it was their first gravel race. This will be my fourth Filthy 50, of which I have done it on a different bike each year and so the tradition will continue in 2016. October gravel is amazing with the Fall colors, scenery and weather this area offers to those that take the challenge. I highly recommend that you register and experience this race that is very special to me and many others that continue to do it year after year. Below are the details and rules direct from race organizer Trenton Raygor.
- The Filthy 50 will take place on Sunday, October 9th, 2016.
- The event will start and end on the north end of Stewartville, MN. The start will take place at 10am and the riders will have until 4pm to officially finish.
- Registration will open on Sunday, March 20th and can be completed quickly online. Visit http://the-filthy-50.com/registration and complete the form before the 800 rider cap is reached. We trust that you will register and make it a priority to show up and ride on October 9th. If you're not sure that you can make it, we kindly request that you hold off on registering until you are certain.
- Thanks to our sponsors, registration for The Filthy 50 continues to be a FREE and first come will be first served.
- This event is completely unsupported. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOU. Individuals should bring EVERYTHING that they need for the ride and expect absolutely NOTHING to be provided to them on the day of the event.
- GPX and TCX files, as well as cue sheets, will be made available for download to all riders who end up on our official roster. Navigating the course is critical, so we will do our best to prepare you for that.
- Elevation profiles of the course will be provided through Filthy 50 social media (Twitter, Facebook and Instagram) prior to Sunday, October 9th.
- Days before the ride, those on the official roster will be sent event day logistics as well as some other crucial information about what to expect.
The RulesIt is of utmost importance to us that everyone stays safe and enjoys The Filthy 50. These are the rules. We think they are reasonable.
- You are 100% on your own. Take care of yourself.
- We would appreciate it if you would REGISTER with us.
- This ride is unsupported. Bring EVERYTHING with you that you will need.
- Always wear your helmet.
- Respect the course and keep it clean. Please do not litter.
- Obey all TRAFFIC LAWS.
- If nature calls during your ride, please do not please do not answer it in front of others.
- Ride safely and use good judgment.
- You are responsible for you, so be responsible.
- Have fun!
"Race it and set a record. Ride it and take in the beauty. Either way, get filthy." - Unknown
SponsorsThe Filthy 50 is a free race made possible by generous support from the follow sponsors.
ADAM TURMAN - A professional illustrator & poster artist from the Twin Cities.
BANJO BROTHERS - Tough. Practical. Affordable. Bike Bags.
BELCH - Softcore Cycling Clothing & Apparel
BUCKNELL CONSTRUCTION, INC. - Meeting your construction needs, located in Stewartville, MN.
FAREWAY - An economical food store located in Stewartville, MN.
HED - The best wheels on the planet. Seriously.
PENN CYCLE - Your Twin Cities bike shop.
RIDING GRAVEL.COM - The gravel enthusiast’s resource
RIDING GRAVEL.COM - The gravel enthusiast’s resource
ROCHESTER CYCLING - A Rochester, MN bike shop for all of your bike needs.
SUNSHINE SANITATION - Sanitation professionals from Stewartville, MN.
SURLY BREWING - Give a damn. Do good. Drink beer.
2 WHEEL WEATHER - Where cycling and weather come together.
Despite this being a free event, it wouldn’t be able to happen as intend without the support of these amazing sponsors and incredible volunteers. If you are interested in sponsoring this year, please send an email to email@example.com. You can also show your support by donating to The Filthy 50 here. For those not racing that would like to volunteer you can do so by sending an email to the above address.
News Release From Trenton
The Filthy 50 will be returning to Stewartville, Minnesota for our fourth year and we couldn't be happier. For those of you who have committed to ride with us for the past three years, soon there will be a special tribute to you. You and everyone who has committed to ride with us year after year since 2013 has made The Filthy 50 what it is. You have made this ride yours and we are honored to be a part of what you have helped create. For our sponsors and those who have participated in our infamous "meat raffle" or donated anonymously, thank you for helping us make The Filthy 50 extra special for everyone. Lastly, to my family and friends who have volunteered their time and skill sets to helping us pull this thing off, we couldn't do it without you, nor would we want to, so thanks for coming back and making us do it again for one more year.
This year, there will be some added action. Alternative family friendly routes [12 and 24 mile routes] will be available upon request. We would love to see more young people out there. Just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org after signing up if you are interested. Minneapolis based musician, Ben Weaver, will be performing live musical selections during the post ride party. In addition, Minnesota's Surly Brewing Company has joined the ranks of our sponsors and is looking forward to providing post ride libations to you all. There will also be a few mid ride surprises, so make sure to look around and don't blink.
After you register, as always, we highly encourage you to go ride your bike. The only ride you will regret is the one that you don't go on. Trust us.
Kind Regards, Trenton