The Mountain Set sent to me contains the tips I need to make most adjustments on my mountain bike. The first task to put them to the test was to remove my clipless pedals and install my flats. The Fix It Sticks' T-shaped design made easy work of popping the pedals loose and installing them tightly. While I wouldn't need this kind of torque for other adjustments, it is nice to have such a small multi-tool that can handle tasks that may require a 3-way tool. They are able to get into tight spots using just one of them to start a bolt and then inserting the other into it to tighten.
Their small size makes them very easy to stash away in a seat bag, top-tube bag, stem pack or jersey pocket. Each set comes with a convenient carrying case made from a recycled tube that keeps them from clanking around in your pack or pocket. I no longer use my old bulky multi-tool that didn't have the leverage I needed and had a bunch of other stuff I didn't. I ride some long distances on gravel roads out in the middle of nowhere and I have to carry all of the necessary tools to get me out of a jam and back in the saddle. Fix It Stick are now a vital part of my rescue pack because they don't take up much space and get the job done. Be prepared for the unexpected, don't get caught out on a ride without them.
Fix It Sticks are made in the USA, come in many versions and are available in Aluminum or Steel. Sets include:
- 1 Stick or Custom sets
- SRAM Inspired Set (2.5, 4, 5mm hex and Torx 25)
- Standard Set A (4, 5, 6mm hex/Slotted 5mm wide)
- Standard Set B (4, 5, 6mm hex/Phillips #2)
- Roadie/Tri Set (3, 4, 5mm hex/Phillips #2)
- Mountain Set (4, 5, 6mm hex/Torx 25)
- Tuner Set (2, 2.5, 3mm hex/Phillips #2)
- Snow Set - Fix It Sticks for Snowsports (Phillips #2 & 3, 4mm hex & Slotted 5mm wide)
- Torx Set (T-10, T-20, T-25, T-30)
- Homeowner Set (Phillips #1 and #2/Slotted at 5mm & 8mm wide)
- Titanium Fix It Sticks - Limited Availability (all custom bits)
Fix It Sticks retail for $29.99 and can be purchased on the Fix It Sticks website or from select dealers.
Disclosure: Fix It Sticks provided the review sample for this article, but offered no other form of compensation for this review.